Saturday, June 20, 2015

Serenity

Serenity.

This is what I hope to find this summer.  Even though our summer is lined up to be chaotic, painful, busy, stressful; my hope is that through the chaos God will meet us and infuse us with His peace and rest.  

All three boys failed at least one course this school year and are lined up for summer school the month of July.  They are all incredibly smart and capable, however, life circumstances the past year and a half on top of chronic illness finally caught up with our family.  

Nick originally was going to be going to work at Camp Good News for three weeks as a Counselor In Training.  I was truly excited about this because I felt it would be an amazing opportunity for growth spiritually for him. It seems God had different plans for growth for him and all of us this summer.  

Dylan broke his wrist yet again just a couple of weeks ago.  He spent the first part of last summer in a cast.  Thankfully this summer it is just a couple of weeks of a removable brace.  

Kelsey is participating in ESY(extended school year) this summer one morning a week and also will be at the farm one morning a week participating in the Equine Discovery Center learning about horses and many other things.  She will continue tutoring and taking horse riding lessons every other week and participating in the summer reading program through the library. 

I will be working 2-3 days a week while also trying to make sure everyone is where they need to be.  

Brian will be working as normal and trying to juggle all that I can't do while being laid up this summer.

We have applied for jobs in town for Brad and Nick and nothing seems to come from it.  Again, I feel that God has other things in mind for our family this summer.

Back in April I was playing basketball with my brother and our kids and in going for the ball stepped wrong and collapsed.  The doctor told me I had dislocated my patella but that if it didn't improve over the next several weeks to call him and he would send me to PT.  I ended up in PT and she felt by my description of how I injured my knee and upon examination that I may have torn my ACL.  So, I made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor.  After x-rays and an MRI found out I indeed did tear my ACL and my meniscus as well as fractured my bone though that part would heal on its own.  I am now scheduled for surgery on July 8th and will be unable to walk or bear weight on that leg for 4 weeks.  

Let's just say that being laid up during the time of year that we can hit the beach is bummer enough, but to also know that our kids need to be in a million places and I won't be able to drive because it is my right knee makes it all the more stressful.  I am learning though that God's plans are certainly not my own.  And typically His plans end up being a lot more productive and helpful than my plans are.  

My heartfelt prayer for this summer is that we as a family would find connection with one another and with God.  That through the midst of chaos and change we would find that serene place of rest and joy and peace.  That God's plan for our family this summer would be made very clear as the days and weeks pass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment