Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My sin is like a stinky pot

So I went to wash my dishes this morning after neglecting them for several days. I boiled chicken in my large pot Saturday morning. It is now Tuesday morning.....EWWWWW. :) Can I just say how aweful the stench was when I opened the cover this morning to wash it. Now don't judge me. I am learning to let go of certain expectations in my life to focus on the more important things in life like health(both physical and spiritual, as well as the health of our family unit). The doctor ordered it, but also it is a Biblical principle as well. Think of Mary and Martha. Mary had chosen the wise "job" at the moment which was to worship. Martha was too busy "doing" to simply enjoy being in the presence of her Savior. Now I realize that isn't an all the time choice. There has to be balance, but none-the-less God used my stinky pot this morning to teach me a Spiritual lesson. And here it is......

I have been teaching my children about confession and how that you can be reading your Bible each morning, but if you aren't confessing your sins to God daily then your relationship with Him can be wounded(mind you, I struggle with this as well). God therefore used a very distinct odor this morning to remind me. I realized when I smelled that foul stench that that is what God smells when we don't confess our sin to Him. When we just let it sit there and fester for days, weeks, months, years on end that it begins to have a foul odor. I then used a new principle that I am learning through a book I am reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I chose eucharisteo(thanks) for that foul smelling pot to remind me of this principle of short accounts with my sin with God. Proverbs 28: 13~"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." So like that pot that I covered and left, our sin too will smell after not too long. I John 1:9~"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Don't get like that stinky pot. Go to God each day/every moment you sin.

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder! Be encouraged in the Lord!

    TheePottersHand

    ReplyDelete