Monday, May 2, 2011

What do you Crave?!?

What do you crave? Is it food? TV? Video Games? Time with your family? How about time with your Heavenly Father? That is what we are supposed to crave. My boys could play hockey all day every day. I love that they enjoy it, but what about time for God?!? There are certainly a lot worse things in life to be addicted to, but anything that takes precedence over God is an idol. Brian and I have tried over the years to impress that on our children's hearts and we talked to them again about it tonight. Not really the idol part, but simply that we can't be filled with the Spirit if we don't spend any time in the Word and with God except an hour on Sunday.

I likened it to a gas tank. You can't drive to Nanny and Granddad's in Montreal on one tank of gas. You would run out. You need to stop and fill it. It is like that for us with the Spirit of God. We are "filled" with the Spirit at the moment of salvation, but if we don't spend time with Him, then we are running on empty. We can be overflowing, however, if we take time daily and moment by moment with Him.

I don't know about you but I need Him on a moment to moment basis anyways! He is the glue that holds me together daily. I read Psalm 91 tonight and what an encouragement. I encourage you to read the whole thing, but here are two of my favorites from it "Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place-the Most High, who is my refuge-no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent." (vv. 9-10). What about you? Are you making the LORD your dwelling place? We asked our kids that question tonight. Yes life is hard and right now noone in our house feels good(except Nicholas-to which he reminded us) but if we make the LORD our dwelling place it will be ok.

The other few verses that were my favorites(though all of it was like that) were these...."Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him, I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation." He is with me in trouble!!! So right now while we face what we do day by day He is right here with us!!! He hasn't abandoned us. And furthermore He is not simply with us, He will show us his salvation!!! I for one can't wait! I long for heaven the more this earth weighs down on me and isn't that the point?!? To long for it so much, to be always watching for him, but in the meantime to not sit idly by waiting, but to share Him and His love for us with everyone He brings our way!!! So what are you waiting for?!? Get out there and share His love! Crave Him more than anything else and let the overflowing of the Spirit pour out on everyone you meet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment